[ntp:questions] NTP-Question about "ntpq -p"

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Sat Aug 30 08:05:57 UTC 2008

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> David Woolley wrote:
>> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>>

>>> Unless he introduced the error deliberately in order to "test" NTP.
>>>

>> If he did, it is a case of garbage in and ntpd is under no obligation
>> to expeditiously correct for it.  You can't evaluate the dynamic
>> response of ntpd based on unreasonable stimuli.
>
> You don't need to dig too deeply in the archives to find cases of people
>  doing just that!

I'm very well aware that it is a very common way of "acceptance testing"
ntpd for people who don't understand it.  However, the correct response
to such a large offset is to ignore it as long as possible, as, in real
operation, if it doesn't represesnt a fault that needs fixing outside of
ntpd, it represents a temporary network disturbance and the local clock
time is still actually valid.