[ntp:questions] offset with ntpdate and ntpq ?

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Sun Aug 31 20:56:33 UTC 2008

Stavros Milos wrote:

> I would like to "read" a time of each remote NTP server and compare it
> to my local referential timeserver, just to examine if offset of each
> remote NTP server is not too high. So, the purpose is not to synchronize
> time to remote NTP servers, but to trace their time to keep a rule:
>
>   "remopte NTP server time" - "my referential NTP server time"  <  0.5s

"Offset" doesn't really give you this information.  If the ntpd design
is valid, "offset" is either a measure of the network performance, or
that ntpd has not been running long enough to work out which part of the
offset is a true clock error and which part measurement variation.  If
you know of a way of telling the difference between a true error and
measurement uncertainty, before ntpd is able to do so, you need to
submit your algorithm to the NTP community.