[ntp:questions] ntp survey

Antonio M. Moreiras moreiras at nic.br
Mon Dec 1 23:18:25 UTC 2008

Maarten,

We run a program that is a adaptation from that used in the previous
studies. It starts from a list of known servers. Basically, for each
server, it will:
- try to get some information about the quality of the service (ntpdate,
ntpq -c rl, ntpq -p),
- try to get the IPs of its references (ntpq -p) and
- try to get the IPs of its clients (monlist).
It will assume that each new IP is a potential NTP server and will
consult it... It will repeat this process until it can not get new IPs.

Said that, we can eventually reach your gateway, sorry... We would like
to be able to get some information from it, but we know that
(generalizing) it will be impossible. We simply can't be sure that it
isn't a NTP server if we not try to consult it.

Antonio M. Moreiras.
moreiras at nic.br