[ntp:questions] Garmin GPS 18LVC Setup but questions on best way

George R.Kasica georgek at netwrx1.com
Wed Dec 31 12:36:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 00:20:45 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

>Unruh wrote:
>> "David J Taylor"
>[]
>>> With just the reference clock type 20, I get the accuracy needed.
>>> The PPS line from the GBS-18 LVC is wired to the DCD line of the
>>> serial port.  In my ignorance, I don't see why you even need the SHM
>>> driver, but as I said before, I'm no expert!  I don't see why my
>>> system picks up the PPS from just the type 20 driver, and yours does
>>> not.
>>

>> Because you have the PPS kernel patch installed or it was
>> automatically
>> instaled in BSD? The OP does not and does not want to.
>
>Thanks.  Yes, I had to recompile the FreeBSD kernel to include this patch.
>I must have thought at the time that it was mandatory, or was advised to
>do this.

I'd be happy to put it in here, but doing so with the Fedora Core 9
RPM based code is not something I'm familiar with. I'm used to working
with straight source code for kernels ie make make install type steps
(don't take those literally please I know the steps) or just leaving
the RPMs alone. I just am not sure how or if the PPS patches I've seen
will apply to the kernel version here on the FC9 box or how it will
affect the system-obviously breaking it is not an option - well, it
always is but not a good one since it archives a ton of weather data
:).

If someone can detail what needs to happen I'd be happy to run it that
way, though as of right now I'm not sure what it would gain me over
the shm driver option. FYI the kernel I'm running is:

2.6.27.7-53.fc9.i686 #1 SMP

and loaded rpms are:

kernel-devel-2.6.27.7-53.fc9.i686
kernel-headers-2.6.27.7-53.fc9.i386
kernel-firmware-2.6.27.7-53.fc9.noarch
kernel-2.6.27.7-53.fc9.i686
kernel-doc-2.6.27.7-53.fc9.noarch

--
===[George R. Kasica]===        +1 262 677 0766
President                       +1 206 374 6482 FAX
georgek at netwrx1.com
ICQ #12862186