[ntp:questions] strange behaviour of ntp peerstats entries.

Bill Unruh unruh at physics.ubc.ca
Sun Feb 3 16:53:29 UTC 2008

David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> writes:

>Unruh wrote:
>>
>> Under ... is the line
>> dst[i]=peer->filter_delay[j]
>>

>Apologies, I missed that detail.  I guess dst has changed its meaning
>over time.  (It doesn't really look right to me though, as there is a
>sudden discontinuity as you cross the Allan Intercept.)

>However, that doesn't change the fact that the sample used is ord[0],
>i.e. the sample with the lowest dst value, subject to it also being
>newer than the last one used.  That is not necessarily the most recent.

It looks like you are right that it does not only select it if it is the
latest. Comparing the peerstats output ( augmented by the most recent
p_offset and p_del) and the loopstats, there is a loop output whenever the
min changes, not only if it is the latest as well. I must have misread the
code. Sorry. But that still can result in 8 measurements without any being
used.