[ntp:questions] Configuration files missing after make all

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 5 17:17:38 UTC 2008

delphi553 at hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I;ve downloaded the Development version 4.2.5p111 off NTP from
> http://www.ntp.org/downloads.html I installed it with the foilowing
> procedure:
>
> ./configure --prefix={path}
> ./make
> ./makeinstall
>
> When I browse to the path where everything should be there are only 3
> directories looking like this:
>
> bash> ls
> bin  lib  man
>
> Now where are the config files? I expected them to be in this path
> because if I read the makefile:
>
> sysconfdir = ${prefix}/etc
>
> well my prefix is /home/joah/ntp, so the conf-files should be at /home/
> joah/ntp/etc. but that directory does not exists! what have I done
> wrong?
>
> I also took a look at /etc, there are some ntp conf files, but those
> are created months ago when I installed the machine, they are not
> created by my installation.
>
> anyone know how I get the conf files installed? What have I done wrong
> here ?
>
> thanks!

I believe that creating the configuration file is YOUR responsibility.
You are also responsible for the contents of the file and for creating
any directories required.

It's not terribly difficult!

server system1.domain1
server system2.domain2
server system3.domain3
server system4.domain4

where systemN.domainM is the fully qualified domain name of an NTP
server  or the IP address in "dotted decimal" of an NTP server.
There are other things you can put in there but at least one server
statement is required.  Four server statements are required for the
minimum "robust" configuration.

The online documentation explains this in sufficient detail to get you
started.  You can put this file anywhere you like but if you don't use
the default location of /etc/inet/ntp.conf  you must tell ntpd where to
find it.  It must be in a file system that is mounted and available when
ntpd starts.

There is also considerable good advice to be found in the online docs
and the "user supported" documentation.  Follow the links at ntp.org.