[ntp:questions] Configuration files missing after make all

Dennis Hilberg, Jr. timekeeper at dennishilberg.com.invalid
Tue Feb 5 17:28:04 UTC 2008

delphi553 at hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I;ve downloaded the Development version 4.2.5p111 off NTP from
> http://www.ntp.org/downloads.html I installed it with the foilowing
> procedure:
>
> ./configure --prefix={path}
> ./make
> ./makeinstall
>
> When I browse to the path where everything should be there are only 3
> directories looking like this:
>
> bash> ls
> bin  lib  man
>
> Now where are the config files? I expected them to be in this path
> because if I read the makefile:
>
> sysconfdir = ${prefix}/etc
>
> well my prefix is /home/joah/ntp, so the conf-files should be at /home/
> joah/ntp/etc. but that directory does not exists! what have I done
> wrong?
>
> I also took a look at /etc, there are some ntp conf files, but those
> are created months ago when I installed the machine, they are not
> created by my installation.
>
> anyone know how I get the conf files installed? What have I done wrong
> here ?
>
> thanks!

Have you tried a 'find / -name ntpd 2> /dev/null' ?

If you actually passed configure '--prefix={path}', where {path} is the
actual characters '{path}', then everything was probably installed in
{path}/bin, {path}/man, relative to the directory you configured the install
from.

The default path prefix is /usr/local .

--
Dennis Hilberg, Jr.     \  timekeeper(at)dennishilberg(dot)com
NTP Server Information:  \  http://saturn.dennishilberg.com/ntp.php