[ntp:questions] Configuration files missing after make all

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 5 17:38:03 UTC 2008

Dennis Hilberg, Jr. wrote:
> delphi553 at hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I;ve downloaded the Development version 4.2.5p111 off NTP from
>> http://www.ntp.org/downloads.html I installed it with the foilowing
>> procedure:
>>
>> ./configure --prefix={path}
>> ./make
>> ./makeinstall
>>
>> When I browse to the path where everything should be there are only 3
>> directories looking like this:
>>
>> bash> ls
>> bin  lib  man
>>
>> Now where are the config files? I expected them to be in this path
>> because if I read the makefile:
>>
>> sysconfdir = ${prefix}/etc
>>
>> well my prefix is /home/joah/ntp, so the conf-files should be at /home/
>> joah/ntp/etc. but that directory does not exists! what have I done
>> wrong?
>>
>> I also took a look at /etc, there are some ntp conf files, but those
>> are created months ago when I installed the machine, they are not
>> created by my installation.
>>
>> anyone know how I get the conf files installed? What have I done wrong
>> here ?
>>
>> thanks!
>

> Have you tried a 'find / -name ntpd 2> /dev/null' ?
>
> If you actually passed configure '--prefix={path}', where {path} is the
> actual characters '{path}', then everything was probably installed in
> {path}/bin, {path}/man, relative to the directory you configured the
> install from.
>
> The default path prefix is /usr/local .

If true, it's a poor idea.  /usr and anything under it belongs to the
operating system.  It's possible for an upgrade to replace /usr in its
entirity!!  /opt is the preferred tree to install applications in.  This
is not to say that /usr/local has not been used by many people, only
that it is far from being "best practice".