[ntp:questions] Configuration files missing after make all

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Feb 6 17:36:35 UTC 2008

> From: "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net>
> Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 18:03:24 -0500
> Sender: questions-bounces+oberman=es.net at lists.ntp.org
>

> Steve Kostecke wrote:
> > On 2008-02-05, Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> <special trim just for Steve>
> >
> > I believe that the BSD world will disagree with you here.
> >

> If you design your product for JUST the BSD world, that's fine.
>
> There is more to the world than BSD.  For Solaris, the Unix that I use,
> /usr/local is NOT best practice.
>
> Now BSD and System V have, over the years, exchanged genetic material in
> ways that would make a stock breeder blush.  I think it would be hard to
> find a system that was PURE BSD or PURE System V.
>
> I think it is clearly better to put applications in a directory tree by
> themselves, one that is NOT part of the O/S.

Stop it! Stop it! Stop it!

This discussion has degenerated from its initial silly, jingoistic post
and is not likely to improve.

People on both sides of this bikeshed (BSDism) will kindly take several
deep breaths and stop saying silly things that will only serve to
embarrass them at some future time.

There is NO functional or practical difference between /opt and
/usr/local. Both are under the root (/) and are part of the file
system. They both may share a partition or drive with /usr or not. Both
serve the same purpose and both have a long history. I seem to recall
that /opt descends form SysV and /usr/local from BSD. It would not
surprise me if early versions of SunOS, which were based on BSD, used
/usr/local, but I really don't remember.

Use one or the other or mix them. It really makes no difference. If you
can't figure out how to deal with this on your "Unix-like" OS, go find a
sysadmin who has a clue. It's really not hard.

As for me, I only will play with the blue ball and anyone playing with
the red one is stupid!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)