[ntp:questions] ntpdate.c unsafe buffer write

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Fri Feb 8 05:12:36 UTC 2008

>>> In article <lVOqj.18537$C61.769 at edtnps89>, Unruh <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> writes:

Unruh> Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> writes:
>> Bill,

>> ntpdate is being deprecated.

Unruh> Maybe, but it should still not have bugs if it is actually still part
Unruh> of the distro.

I mostly agree with you.  And one reason there are a bunch of outstanding
bugs in ntpdate is that nobody has stepped forward to maintain it,
especially after the last round of bugs where we decided that the best thing
to do for ntpdate was kill it off and replace it with sntp.

Speaking of which, I need to ping the folks who volunteered to work on the
SNTP code and see what the status is.

>> And it is *much* better to file reports like this using bugs.ntp.org as
>> otherwise they tend to get lost in the wind.

Unruh> OK. Will do.

I saw that bug get filed - thanks a bunch!
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!