[ntp:questions] ntpdate.c unsafe buffer write

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Mon Feb 11 00:33:36 UTC 2008

>>> In article <slrnfqv0p2.1oi.serge.bets at laposte.net>, Serge Bets <serge.bets at NOSPAM.laposte.invalid> writes:

David> I don't believe it would be safe to start ntpd in normal mode within
David> that period.

Serge> Indeed: the daemon then behaves strangely, not sane at all. Last year
Serge> I published here an awk script calling ntpd -gq and then sleeping
Serge> until an eventual slew is finished. After that, normal mode ntpd can
Serge> be started safely. And of course the daemon really appreciates to
Serge> startup with a near-zero initial phase offset.

1) what are you trying to accomplish by the sequence:

 ntpd -gq ; wait a bit; ntpd

that you do not get with:

 ntpd -g ; ntp-wait

2) there have been recent changes to the initial frequency/offset situation
with ntp-dev.  Have you tried the latest code to see how it behaves?

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!