[ntp:questions] ntpdate.c unsafe buffer write

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Tue Feb 12 05:25:13 UTC 2008

>>> In article <for6h0$8j0$1 at scrotar.nss.udel.edu>, "David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu> writes:

Dave,

David> harlan, Once entering state 4, the only way to leave it is after two
David> steps, after which the discipline is switched to measure frequency
David> directly, as with no frequency file. This is an emergency recovery
David> measure when for some reason the frequency file contains a value more
David> than 128 PPM from the real frequency, which would ordinarily indicate
David> a hardware fault.

Thanks -  what about the case where, eg, a system is operating as a local
master (local refclock or orphan) and gets disconnected from reality for
"long enough" that a big correction needs to be made?

The reason I bring this up is that I'm under the impression that while we
can *expect* that once we are in state 4 we will stay there, I think there
are cases where we can leave state 4.

My point here is that I'm not sure we're all on the same page with this
discussion, and I want to point out that "sometimes things happen".

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!