[ntp:questions] ntpdate.c unsafe buffer write

Serge Bets serge.bets at NOSPAM.laposte.invalid
Tue Feb 12 13:41:00 UTC 2008

Hello Harlan,

 On Tuesday, February 12, 2008 at 3:22:59 +0000, Harlan Stenn wrote:

> Interesting script - thanks.  Would you like me to put it in the
> distribution?

Excellent idea! As contrib example, or installed in bindir along with
ntp-wait?

> what benefit do we get by using the script to delay things while we
> are waiting for a slew to finish while in state 4?

I don't understand the reasoning above your questions, but can reply at
first degree to this one: If we didn't delay after ntpd -q, then the
daemon would be started while the slew is still in progress during some
minutes. This is not a sane situation: The daemon gathers biased data.

Serge.