[ntp:questions] NTP on local network

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 12 15:33:02 UTC 2008

noosh wrote:
> Hi
>
> i have a GPS which is connected to the PC1 via serial port , PC1 can
> synchronize itself with GPS, now i want other PCs be synchronized with
> PC1 by LAN. i have no restriction on ntp.conf.but they doesn't
> synchronzie with PC1.
> ----------------------------ntp.conf- on client
> server 192.168.5.30 prefer
> driftfile %windir%\\ntp.drift
> logfile c:/WINdows/system32/drivers/etc/ntp.log
>
> ----------------------------
> ntpq> pe
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay
> offset  jitter
>  MAIL            DC1              2 u    6   64  377    0.240
> 3604309  11.206

Have you noticed the value of Offset shown above?  It's telling you that
your clock is off by a HUGE amount!  The jitter value also looks a
little high.

I'd try setting the clock from my wristwatch, using ntpdate (I DON'T
CARE THAT IT'S DEPRECATED, IT GETS THE JOB DONE!), or ntpd -g.  I think
that offset exceeds the "panic threshold" by a goodly amount!