[ntp:questions] ntpdate.c unsafe buffer write

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Tue Feb 12 17:02:40 UTC 2008

hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net (Hal Murray) writes:

>>So, no, I am comparing apples to apples ( the offsets as determined from
>>the ntp packet exchange mechanism which both use and both report).

>Another approach is to setup a 3rd machine to watch both.

There is no "both". ntp and chrony are run consecutively on the same
machine-- otherwise there are real problems with the differing drift rates,
the differing temperature sensitivities, the different load factors etc.
And then you also add the noise from the third machine's synchronization,
the noise in the comparison, etc.
Anyway, all I was pointing out was that I was measuring exactly the same
thing both for ntp and chrony.