[ntp:questions] ntpdate.c unsafe buffer write

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Wed Feb 13 07:43:43 UTC 2008

Hal Murray wrote:

> 20 ms sounds like a typical DSL link.  That 1ms accuracy goes out
> the window if you are doing a big download.  (At least on my DSL
> link.)

People don't generally do big downloads during the boot of a machine!
On a big network, the most likely reason for rebooting a timeserver in
prime time is a power failure.  In which case the whole network is
likely to be down.

At worst, using ntpdate -b, you only get something like the current ntpd
behavour.  Typically you end up within a millisecond.