[ntp:questions] Is there a document that describes the recommandation for configuring ntp ?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Wed Feb 13 11:40:34 UTC 2008

Hi Thierry,

Thierry MARTIN wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Many of you kindly answered my previous questions, thanks a lot for that.
>
> Now I realise that I got a lot of "tips", that might be included in a
> "recommandations" doc.
>
> So my quesiton becomes:
>
> Is there a document that describes the recommandation for configuring ntp?

The best place to look is the NTP support wiki at
http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/
which covers many aspects of NTP configuration.

> I mean -for instance-, it seems that "everybody" here knows that a
> configuration with only two ntp sources should be avoided; so is there a
> doc where I can find this kind of information?

This particular topic is covered at
http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/SelectingOffsiteNTPServers#Section_5.3.3.

That section also teaches why even 3 time sources may not be appropriate,
and using at least 4 is a better choice.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren