[ntp:questions] time to find ntp server

adirtymindisajoyforever getridofthespam at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 15 14:09:56 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I have confiured an external server and the local clock.
After starting ntp the ntptrace command shows 2 entries.
I stop the ntp server on the external server. After 5 minuter
ntptrace shows but one entry (localhost).
I restart ntp on the external server. How long should it take
before the client becomes aware of this external server?
System is solaris 10 galaxy with suncluster.

# ntptrace   (on cluster node 2)
localhost: stratum 5, offset 0.000022, synch distance 0.38689
clusternode1-priv: stratum 4, offset 0.000027, synch distance 0.01012

after 5minutes:

# ntptrace
localhost: stratum 4, offset 0.000019, synch distance 0.01039

restart xntpd on cluster node 1:

ntptrace on clusternode 2 doesn't show clusternode1-priv  anymore
(after 30 mintes).

Any help appreciated