[ntp:questions] time to find ntp server

Tom Smith smith at cag.zko.hp.com
Fri Feb 15 14:19:28 UTC 2008

adirtymindisajoyforever wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have confiured an external server and the local clock.
> After starting ntp the ntptrace command shows 2 entries.
> I stop the ntp server on the external server. After 5 minuter
> ntptrace shows but one entry (localhost).
> I restart ntp on the external server. How long should it take
> before the client becomes aware of this external server?
> System is solaris 10 galaxy with suncluster.
>
> # ntptrace   (on cluster node 2)
> localhost: stratum 5, offset 0.000022, synch distance 0.38689
> clusternode1-priv: stratum 4, offset 0.000027, synch distance 0.01012
>
> after 5minutes:
>
> # ntptrace
> localhost: stratum 4, offset 0.000019, synch distance 0.01039
>
> restart xntpd on cluster node 1:
>
> ntptrace on clusternode 2 doesn't show clusternode1-priv  anymore
> (after 30 mintes).
>
> Any help appreciated

ntptrace tells you the chain of servers the node is synchronized to,
not the list of servers it is polling. You have apparently configured your
local clock at the same stratum (4) as your external server,
so cluster node 2 remained synchronized to its local clock
after NTP was restarted on clusternode1-priv.

Use "ntpq -p" rather than ntptrace to see the status of all your
servers/peers.

-Tom