[ntp:questions] Windows NTP setup problem.

Tualha Khan tualhakhan at truition.com
Fri Feb 15 20:54:41 UTC 2008

Hello Everyone,

I am deploying an NTP service in our intranet and am facing some
problems. Perhaps I am not setting the parameters correctly in the
ntp.conf file.

The platform is Windows 2003 x64. I am running the windows build of
meinberg ntp server.

Basically, there are two servers which will preferably feed off an
external time source, and in case the external time source is
unreachable, they will feed off of each other. Since these machines are
the domain controllers, all the children members of this domain, will
act as client to this ntp service, and will sync with the domain
controllers.

Here are the ntp.conf files:

Server A (192.168.3.114)

####################################

driftfile "C:\Program Files (x86)\NTP\etc\ntp.drift"

crypto pw abc1234

keysdir "C:\Program Files (x86)\NTP\etc\keys"

server 127.127.1.0

server tic.nrc.ca

server 192.168.3.210 autokey

fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 12

#peer 192.168.3.210 autokey

#server toc.nrc.ca

# End of generated ntp.conf --- Please edit this to suite your needs

###################################

Server B (192.168.3.210)

###################################

driftfile "D:\Program Files (x86)\NTP\etc\ntp.drift"

server 127.127.1.0

server tic.nrc.ca

server 192.168.3.114 autokey

fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 12

#peer 192.168.3.114 autokey

#server tock.usask.ca

crypto pw abc1234

keysdir "D:\Program Files (x86)\NTP\etc\keys"

# End of generated ntp.conf --- Please edit this to suite your needs

####################################

The communication between the two internal servers should be
authenticated. So, for that, I am using IFF keys, stored at the $keysdir
location.

The problem is that if I remove the external server reference from the
ntp files on both the machines, and change the time on any one of them,
the other one does not sync its time with this machine. It continues to
run with a time gap, irrespective of how long I wait for it to sync. Am
I doing something wrong here?

Is it necessary that atleast one external time source should be
reachable in order for this setup to work?

Secondly, I don't understand what "fudge" means and difference between
peer and server. I have read the documentation, but I am still not sure
if I should be using my internal server's references as peer or server.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

tualha

This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this message, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Messages sent to and from us may be monitored.

Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Therefore, we do not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions that are present in this message, or any attachment, that have arisen as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy version. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.