[ntp:questions] Windows NTP setup problem.

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Sat Feb 16 07:18:00 UTC 2008

Tualha Khan wrote:
[]
> Secondly, I don't understand what "fudge" means and difference between
> peer and server. I have read the documentation, but I am still not
> sure
> if I should be using my internal server's references as peer or
> server.
[]
> Thanks & Regards,
> tualha

Tualha,

I'll let those more expert to comment on the configuration files - I know
nothing about authentication.  Having just two external servers is not
good, four is better.

  server 127.127.1.0
  fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 12

"Fudge" here means "consider my local clock server to be at a
high-stratum, and therefore only to be used as a last resort, when serving
time to others".  Please see the documentation for more details about
stratum levels.

As I understand it, "Server" is a box which can set its time using NTP,
and respond to requests from clients.  Two boxes working as "Peers" can
set the time on each other, as well as behave as a "Server".  But please
it anyone else has a better description, please speak up.

Cheers,
David