[ntp:questions] Windows NTP setup problem.

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sat Feb 16 07:39:44 UTC 2008

>>> In article <BF787844DF512D4F946461D13149269D056C7643 at ca01m01.local.edeal.com>, tualhakhan at truition.com (Tualha Khan) writes:

Tualha> Hello Everyone, I am deploying an NTP service in our intranet and am
Tualha> facing some problems. Perhaps I am not setting the parameters
Tualha> correctly in the ntp.conf file.

I think you are correct.

Have you seen:

 http://support.ntp.org/Support/DesigningYourNTPNetwork

 http://support.ntp.org/Support/ConfiguringLocalRefclocks

There is also "orphan mode", which is described in the miscopt.html page of
recent ntp-dev releases (it is documented in different places in other
versions of ntp-4.2).

Tualha> The problem is that if I remove the external server reference from
Tualha> the ntp files on both the machines, and change the time on any one
Tualha> of them, the other one does not sync its time with this machine. It
Tualha> continues to run with a time gap, irrespective of how long I wait
Tualha> for it to sync. Am I doing something wrong here?

Yes, look at the stratum of the two servers.

Tualha> Is it necessary that atleast one external time source should be
Tualha> reachable in order for this setup to work?

I don't think so.

Tualha> Secondly, I don't understand what "fudge" means and difference
Tualha> between peer and server. I have read the documentation, but I am
Tualha> still not sure if I should be using my internal server's references
Tualha> as peer or server.

"fudge" is a way to change some default behaviors.

Peers exchange time with each other.  One only *gets* time from a server,
there is no exchange of time information.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!