[ntp:questions] Force ntpd to immediately trust server

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sat Feb 16 07:26:32 UTC 2008

>>> In article <64B9BEB4F544624B9D59DB6F61E2E65402AA7C50 at AZ25EXM03.gddsi.com>, John.Johnson at gdc4s.com (Johnson, John-P63914) writes:

John-P> Can ntpd be configured so that on start up it **immediately** trusts
John-P> a time source (remote server or local clock) and begins serving
John-P> time?  For my application ntpd must be up and serving time in a
John-P> matter of seconds.

How many seconds?  In many cases, we can do this in 11 seconds (and there is
talk now about residual slew time).

The trick is that there are 2 things going on during that startup.  One has
to do with "what time is it now?", and the other is "what frequency are we
operating at?"  Without this last bit of information, we could tell somebody
the wrong time when they ask for it a few seconds later.

I would like to talk more with you about this.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!