[ntp:questions] Force ntpd to immediately trust server

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 16 13:13:51 UTC 2008

Johnson, John-P63914 wrote:
> Can ntpd be configured so that on start up it **immediately** trusts a
> time
> source (remote server or local clock) and begins serving time?  For my
> application ntpd must be up and serving time in a matter of seconds.
>
> (Currently using 4.2.2p1.  Upgrading to 4.2.4p4 in near future)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Johnny

I'd say it depends both on the accuracy you need and the stability you
need.  It takes time for nptd to synchronize.

If you need time "on demand" the best solution is to leave the server up
24x7x365.  Remember that the clients also need time to synchronize.  A
warm start can take thirty minutes to achieve tight synchronization.  A
cold start can take hours before the time is as good as it's going to get!

Ntpd can probably stay within a second or two of the correct time a
minute or so after starting.  If you need better, plan accordingly.