[ntp:questions] Leap second functional question

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Mon Feb 18 15:54:11 UTC 2008

Unruh wrote:
[]
> AFAIK ntp deletes a leap second by jumping, and inserts a second by
> stopping the clock for a second. -- well I am not sure that ntp
> actually does that. It may just hand the leap second to the kernel
> and hope the kernel does the right thing. If the kernel does not,
> then ntp spends the next hour readjusting the clock.

No.  At least on Windows.  IIRC, it doubles the clock speed for one second
to move forward, and halves the clock speed for two seconds to move
backwards.  Something like that.  No step is used.  My recollection is at
best vague about this, but searching the newsgroup archives may help you.

Cheers,
David