[ntp:questions] Leap second functional question

Nero Imhard nim at pipe.nl
Tue Feb 19 19:01:22 UTC 2008

Unruh wrote:

> No, in UTC all years are 86400 seconds, even if during that year a
> second was added or subtracted.

Well, apart from the fact that a day is not a year, there is no denying
that between 0:00 UTC on one day and the next, there have elapsed 86401
SI seconds if there has been a leap second.

> year with a leap second added has 86400 UTC seconds but 86401 TAI
> seconds.

Both UTC and TAI count SI-seconds, but you seem to differentiate between
the two. How you want to express durations "in UTC" or "in TAI" is
unclear to me and I prefer avoid it altogether.