[ntp:questions] Geographical diversity of Stratum 1 servers

Peter Laws plaws at ou.edu
Tue Feb 19 19:50:39 UTC 2008

Peter Laws wrote:
> Looking for a reference on geographical diversity of Stratum 1 servers (GPS
> appliances, in this case).  We have two clocks now (an old Datum TymServ
> with a Symetricom sticker) and another unknown brand.  We'd like to add a
> third at a completely different facility a mile or more away.
>
> What, other than the business continuity angle can I use?  I'm assuming it
> would be better to have the clocks separated from a GPS perspective, too.

Thanks to all that helped with this, here and off-line.  Turns out the
Datum TymServe 2100 (yep, that old) wasn't as dead as believed.

I've got it flashed to the last version of the fw and it's connected to an
antenna in another building and it is still, to my knowledge, working (I
forgot to get the port provisioned on the switch so I can't log in! :-D ).

So, if it continues to function, it becomes the 3rd Stratum 1 server.

A follow-up if I may - it doesn't appear that I can peer the 2100s together
so my thinking is to have a group of Stratum 2s "around" the three Stratum
1s.  They are all peered together and point to the 3 Stratum 1s for their
time.  Everyone else then will point at the stratum 2s.

Is there a better way to do this or will this work?

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
plaws at ou.edu