[ntp:questions] Leap second functional question

Nero Imhard nim at pipe.nl
Wed Feb 20 07:59:50 UTC 2008

Unruh schreef:

> Yes, I differentiate because UTC does. UTC assumes despite the facts
> that only 86400 seconds have occured.

That is simply not true. I re-read earlier posts and I think that I have
found where confusion crept in. You are probably mistaking the
representation for the actual time scale. Earlier, you wrote:

> NTP time is UTC which assumes 86400 seconds in each and every year.

It seems that you are actually referring to NTP time, which is UTC
represented in a POSIX-like manner, i.e. as a continuous count of
seconds since some epoch. It is this particular (flawed) representation
that ignores the leap seconds; not UTC itself.