[ntp:questions] Leap second functional question

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Wed Feb 20 17:20:29 UTC 2008

Greg Hennessy <greg.hennessy at localhost.localdomain> writes:

>On 2008-02-20, Unruh <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>> Well, no. Astronomers use TAI since long baseline interferometery relies on
>> accurate time synchronization. The deep space network uses TAI since the
>> speed of light must not change from year to year.

>I suppose it is rather unfair of me to point out that I'm a
>professional astronomer, and can assure you lots of astronomers use
>UTC.

No very fair. Professional information should trump amatuer every time.
However, I suspect strongly that when you actually do your calculations you
use TAI. Ie, determining the orbits of sattelites or planets and throwing
away random seconds of time is not a good thing.
So, I guess the pertinant question is "when do you use UTC"? For your daily
life I am sure. For astronomical calculations, I really hope not unless a
second every few years does not matter.