[ntp:questions] Leap second functional question

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Wed Feb 20 22:42:28 UTC 2008

> You are asking for the impossible!  Leap seconds keep time in synch with

That was the intention.  I was pointing out that you can only use "true"
time to represent historic civil times, you cannot calculate the "true"
time of a future civil time beyond the first candidate leap second.

> the earth's rotation.  The rate of rotation is subject to small
> variations.  This is why leap seconds occur at irregular intervals and
> why it is possible to have a negative leap second, although I don't
> recall that we ever had one.

Exactly, which is why the question casts doubt on the use of "true"
time, which was my intention.