[ntp:questions] Stuck at stratum 16

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Thu Feb 21 07:57:19 UTC 2008

Charles Leeds wrote:
> I cannot seem to get my server to out of stratum 16.  Are offsets and
> jitters over 1000 common?  Is the offset and jitter in milliseconds?
>
> I've let it sit for an hour and it makes no difference.  It is still at
> stratum 16.
>

> assID=0 status=c035 sync_alarm, sync_unspec, 3 events, event_clock_reset,

This and the reachability figures indicate that the clock has recently
stepped.

> offset=0.000, frequency=-3.972, jitter=80.189, noise=0.001,

Frequency <> 0 indicates that at some time the system has been
synchronized (possibly in a previous run).

> stability=0.000, tai=0
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
> jitter
>  slice-gw.warnet 18.26.4.105      2 u   49   64   17   32.101  3176.46
> 2139.56

Reachability 17 indicates that the last time reset was about 4 poll
intervals ago, which looks like about five minutes ago.

>  unlawful.id.au  129.6.15.28      2 u   19   64   17   64.230  1662.04
> 1386.83
>  tesla.fireduck. 63.192.96.10     2 u   16   64   17   24.210  753.143
> 2096.85
>  server1-a.your. 64.202.112.75    2 u   13   64   17   22.021  1804.17
> 1369.11

These offsets are all over the place.  With delays in this range, you
would expect the offsets to be within a few 10s of milliseconds of each
other.  Something is badly wrong here.  Although you haven't run rv on
the individual associations, to get their root delays, I think it is
very likely that no two clocks have overlapping error bands, so they are
all being rejected as falsetickers.

Even if you assume the offsets are proportional to age, which you might
get if the clock frequency was completely broken, they are still all
over the place

>  leconte.local   .STEP.          16 u    -   64    0    0.000    0.000
> 0.000

I hope this isn't the subject machine itself; that would indicate that
you had probably broken the loop detection.  Otherwise, it is in similar
difficulties.

> # Fudging if outside servers are down
> server 10.2.5.10
> fudge 10.2.5.10 stratum 10

Fudge is ineffective here, only reference clocks can be fudged.  In any
case, that server seems to have its own problems.