[ntp:questions] Windows NTP setup problem.

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Thu Feb 21 08:18:17 UTC 2008

Tualha Khan wrote:
> Now, the problem part. Under my test conditions, i have both servers
> configured as follows:

I feel you are well out of your depth with this complexity of timing
topology.

> 	#crypto pw abc123
> 	#keysdir "D:\Program Files (x86)\NTP\etc\keys"
>
> 	server 127.127.1.0
> 	server tic.nrc.ca prefer
> 	server 192.168.3.114 OR server 192.168.3.210
> 	fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 12

The very least you need to do here is to make one fudge to be 2
different from the other.  I think 12 and 14 will work in your
configuration, but you could also use 10 and 12.

If you are trying to be clever with multiple local clocks, it is also
even more important than normal to have multiple real servers.

> However, if I restart the server (not the service), the time gets
> sync'ed at the startup. I was assuming that the restart of the ntp

When you restart the server, you are probably running something like
ntpdate against a real server and putting the local clock within the
error bounds for that server.