[ntp:questions] no ntp synchronisation: 2s to 6s time shift !

Thierry MARTIN thierry-martin at ifrance.com
Thu Feb 21 14:21:38 UTC 2008

Hello Serge,

You're right! I missed the -b option in ntpdate.

 > That's very doable, but requires some amounts of efforts. ;-)
I understand that.

The system is a "transportable" system. It is used to mesure some
transmission time over a network (packets contain utc timestamp
themselves). It can be moved to different sites in the network.

I would like to avoid the user of the system to wait for "one day"
before he gets realiable results. The system is a "blackbox", which is
suppose to work "out of the box".

Also, in this context, "setting up a DCF77 or GPS refclock" is not
always possible (we actually do support NTP + GPS refclock).

Maybe I should look for a pci board that is able to keep good time -
even with offset but limited drift- with no external time source...
If anyone has ever heard of this...

Thanks for your answers Serge,

Regards,
Thierry MARTIN