[ntp:questions] Leap second functional question

sla29970 at gmail.com sla29970 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 07:39:10 UTC 2008

On Feb 21, 3:15 pm, "David L. Mills" <mi... at udel.edu> wrote:
> The current
> code here can leap at the end of any month, which seems to be the
> prevailing view of the standards folks. However, I can't find
> confirmation at the IERS site.

Images of the IAU proceedings from the General Assembly in 1973 are at
http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/iau/proc1973p154.gif
http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/iau/proc1973p155.gif
This was the assembly immediately after leap seconds began (and the
first one at which the IAU could make any response, given that the
CCIR neglected to send them a letter in 1970 leaving them no standing
upon which to comment on leap seconds before they began).  The changes
recommended by the IAU in 1973 were incorporated into the first
revision of what is now known as ITU-R TF.460, notably, that it was
foreseeable that leap seconds would be needed more than twice a year.