[ntp:questions] Leap second functional question

sla29970 at gmail.com sla29970 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 21:17:35 UTC 2008

On Feb 22, 12:26 pm, "David L. Mills" <mi... at udel.edu> wrote:
> My reference for leap second introduction was CCIR Recommendation 517,
> which permits leaps only June/December.

For reference, that is now known as ITU-R RA.517, available for
purchase at
http://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-RA.517/en
as near as I can tell, any language on leap seconds was merely by
reference to what is now known as ITU-R TF.460, and it had all been
removed prior to revision 3 of that document which is now at revision
4.

Sigh.  When its name was CCIR it was dismayingly poor at
consultation.  Now that its name is ITU-R it is still dismayingly poor
at communication.  I don't like it when international standards needed
by lots of operational systems are hidden away in proprietary
documents.