[ntp:questions] NTPD on bond0:0

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sat Feb 23 03:15:06 UTC 2008

David A. Evans wrote:
>         We have recently setup our first Redhat NTP server with a bonded
> interface.   We run NTPD on these servers on a virtual IP that used to
> show up as eth0:0.   When it was eth0:0 the -L in the /etc/sysconfig/ntpd
> worked well and NTP would service clients on the virtual IP.  Now on the
> bond0:0 the syslog does not show a listening on message for bond0:0 and a
> netstat does not show the port on the virtual IP.   So of course it does
> not service clients on that interface.

Is there something special about bond0 or is it just another NIC? What
are you expecting to do when you use -L?

>         We are running version 4.2.2 at 1.1532-o.  I have checked the change
> log of the newer versions and don't see any mention of a fix on the newer
> versions and google'ing bond0:0 and ntpd returns very little useful
> information.     Does anybody else have this setup on a bond0:0 interface?

Please upgrade to 4.2.4 first. However can you check that you are
actually binding to the interface? It should say that it's listening on
the address you are looking for. NTPD should listen on every interface
on port 123 so I'd be surprised if it weren't there.

If necessary, build ntpd with debug mode and then add -D 2 -l stdout to
the command line and it should spit out more information to stdout when
you run it directly.

Danny