[ntp:questions] Issues with w32tm on AD network

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Mon Feb 25 15:30:35 UTC 2008

> We have tried it with a small test setup and found that w32time domain
> members did identify their PDC as time source when w32time was running on
> the PDC, but not when ntpd was running on the PDC.
>
> I have recently received a note from someone who seemed to be very
familiar
> with Active Directory. That person told me whn w32time starts it makes an
> entry in the LDAP directory which tells the clients at logon that this
> server is also their time server.
>
> I assume if ntpd would do the same thing then domain clients would also
> detect and accept ntpd running on the PDC.

I *believe* you can also tell the PDC (via some w32time command) that the
primary time source is another machine, and all clients will use that. Of
course that means another machine to manage rather than just installing ntpd
on it.

If you search the MS website for words like "NTP Domain Controller" there's
a lot of info that pops up.

Jason