[ntp:questions] Issues with w32tm on AD network

Evandro Menezes evandro at mailinator.com
Tue Feb 26 17:43:37 UTC 2008

On Feb 26, 2:57 am, Martin Burnicki <martin.burni... at meinberg.de>
wrote:

> Of course they still can't both open port 123, so the result should be what
> David Wooley has mentioned in his reply.

No, but the workstations use an RPC to UDP port 445 or 137, not 123.
W32TIME only uses the UDP port 123 when it's configured to be an NTP
client or server, both disabled in my post above.

All that W32TIME would do in the configuration above would be to serve
domain workstations the system time, which is itself then disciplined
by NTP.

It may not be the ideal configuration, but it works.

HTH