[ntp:questions] Authentication problem

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Wed Feb 27 00:51:10 UTC 2008

>>> In article <XLCdnYiJr_kq9VnanZ2dnUVZ_tWtnZ2d at comcast.com>, "Dennis Hilberg, Jr." <timekeeper at dennishilberg.com.invalid> writes:

Dennis> I've had this issue with authentication for a while, but decided to
Dennis> finally ask as it's bugging me.

Dennis> I use ntpdc to add/remove servers on the fly so I don't have to
Dennis> restart the server. It works fine using addserver and unconfig as
Dennis> long as I don't quit ntpdc.

Dennis> saturn:$ ntpdc
Dennis> ntpdc> addserver 63.240.161.99
Dennis> Keyid: 1 MD5 Password: done!
Dennis> ntpdc> unconfig 63.240.161.99
Dennis> done!

Dennis> However, if I quit ntpdc, start ntpdc, issue the unconfig command
Dennis> and put in the proper password when prompted, it won't be
Dennis> accepted. addserver works fine though.

Dennis> ntpdc> quit
Dennis> saturn:$ ntpdc
Dennis> ntpdc> addserver 63.240.161.99
Dennis> Keyid: 1 MD5 Password: done!
Dennis> ntpdc> quit
Dennis> saturn:$ ntpdc
Dennis> ntpdc> unconfig 63.240.161.99
Dennis> MD5 Password: ***Permission denied
Dennis> ntpdc> quit
Dennis> saturn:$ ntpdc
Dennis> ntpdc> unconfig 63.240.161.99
Dennis> MD5 Password: ***Permission denied
Dennis> ntpdc> readkeys
Dennis> ***Permission denied

I think this is because you have not respecified the keyid.

Try giving the 'keyid' command after you restart ntpdc to be sure.

I'm not sure why you were not asked for it though...

And as Dave as pointed out, nobody has volunteered to maintain ntpdc for
quite a while now, and the new config parsing code does not have an
"unconfig" command yet (near as I can remember).

I am aware of two obvious solutions to this problem (as well as many others)
but since I mention these two solutions Frequently I'll refrain from
repeating them at this time.
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!