[ntp:questions] Authentication problem

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Wed Feb 27 05:53:09 UTC 2008

>>> In article <3_6dneN6tcX9b1nanZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d at comcast.com>, "Dennis Hilberg, Jr." <timekeeper at dennishilberg.com.invalid> writes:

Harlan> I think this is because you have not respecified the keyid.

Dennis> That solves the issue just fine. I'll just have to remember to say
Dennis> 'keyid 1' whenever I start ntpdc.

I suspect one of your command choices *requires* a key and for the other it
is optional.  That's just a guess though...

Harlan> I am aware of two obvious solutions to this problem (as well as many
Harlan> others) but since I mention these two solutions Frequently I'll
Harlan> refrain from repeating them at this time.

Dennis> Like I mentioned, specifying 'keyid 1' right after starting ntpdc
Dennis> solves the problem. Although I'd be interested in other solutions,
Dennis> or at least point me to where you've talked about them before.

The solutions I alluded to all boil down to the same thing - getting
somebody to work on it.

One way is to find a volunteer.  The other way is for "enough" companies (or
a bunch more individuals) to join the NTP Forum, as that will generate cash
to pay somebody to fix these things.  Another way I just realized is for
folks to either straight out donate money to the project, or see if we can
start using the "bounty" idea to get these fixed.

Dennis> Not that it matters, as no one is maintaining ntpdc currently, but I
Dennis> think I found a bug while messing with it:

Dennis> saturn:$ ntpdc
ntpdc> keyid
Dennis> no keyid defined
ntpdc> unconfig 63.240.161.99
Dennis> MD5 Password: ***Permission denied
ntpdc> keyid
Dennis> keyid is 134682920

Feel free to open a bug report on this.  While there is little chance
somebody will fix it, there is *no* chance it will be fixed if nobody
remembers it.
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!