[ntp:questions] Issues with w32tm on AD network

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Wed Feb 27 14:33:02 UTC 2008

Danny,

Danny Mayer wrote:
> Martin Burnicki wrote:
>> I have recently received a note from someone who seemed to be very
>> familiar with Active Directory. That person told me whn w32time starts it
>> makes an entry in the LDAP directory which tells the clients at logon
>> that this server is also their time server.
>>

> I tried running w32time on my domain controller at home and saw nothing
> in the DNS records which is where I would have expected to put such
> information, specifically an SRV record.
>
> The only other possibility that I can think of is by looking at the
> Active Directory LDAP tree which I didn't have time to look at,
> particularly as I would need to know where to look. I find it harder to
> believe that they would put information there but you never know.

I've mentioned in my earlier post that the entry is supposed to be in the
LDAP tree. Why should this be in DNS? Directory services have been designed
to as a database to keep track of objects and attributes of those objects.

I guess a Windows domain would work without a local DNS since the names of
the Windows machines could also be resolved by the WINS service ...

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren