[ntp:questions] Issues with w32tm on AD network

Evandro Menezes evandro at mailinator.com
Wed Feb 27 21:07:11 UTC 2008

On Feb 27, 7:06 am, Ryan Malayter <malay... at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is not true. Windows time service uses UDP/123, just like every
> other NTP or SNTP implmentation. All of Microsoft's documentation that
> I have read (and I think I have read everything concerning w32time)
> agrees on that point.

That's true.  But W32TIME also registers the time service to the
domain or AD hierarchy, allowing the workstations to synchronize with
it.  But when the workstations contact the DC, I think that NTP will
reply instead.

> If you disable both client and server aspects of w32time, it does
> nothting whatsoever, I would think.

Isn't it the idea, to take W32TIME out of the clock discipline
business and just let it take care of DC stuff while NTP handles all
the timekeeping on the server and on the workstations?  After all, NTP
is a much better package to not only discipline the clock as well as
to monitor and administer.