[ntp:questions] Issues with w32tm on AD network

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Feb 28 08:47:36 UTC 2008

Danny Mayer wrote:
> Martin Burnicki wrote:
>> I've mentioned in my earlier post that the entry is supposed to be in the
>> LDAP tree. Why should this be in DNS? Directory services have been
>> designed to as a database to keep track of objects and attributes of
>> those objects.
>
> Because thats the right place to put it. Putting in the LDAP tree means
> a lot of additional work. Creating and using an SRV record is simple.

I don't think MS cares about what you or I think is the right place to
specify the authoritative time server for the Windows domain. If they have
decided to put it into the LDAP tree then it's there, whether we agree or
not.

If w32time sets a flag in the LDAP tree when it is active, and the clients
look for that flag in the LDAP tree then the only chance to have the
clients autodetect ntpd instead of w32time is to let ntpd set the same flag
when it is running (unless you configure the domain members in a different
way, i.e. manually, or using some policy or whatever).

>> I guess a Windows domain would work without a local DNS since the names
>> of the Windows machines could also be resolved by the WINS service ...
>>

> Not with W2003. WINS won't help with things like w32time.

The question is whether DNS is required to let w32time on the PDC resolve
the host name of its NTP upstream server, or whether the clients really
require DNS to detect the PDC, which is what I meant.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren