[ntp:questions] Issues with w32tm on AD network

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Feb 28 08:55:27 UTC 2008

Maarten,

Maarten Wiltink wrote:
> "Martin Burnicki" <martin.burnicki at meinberg.de> wrote in message
> news:tt8g95-4hp.ln1 at gateway.py.meinberg.de...
> [...]
>> I guess a Windows domain would work without a local DNS since the names
>> of the Windows machines could also be resolved by the WINS service ...
>
> DNS _is_ used as a database for some domain information.

Of course. However, we must distinguish between DNS domains and Windows
Active Directory domains which have nothing to do with DNS in the first
place.

As already mentioned in my reply to Danny, if we want to have ntpd
compatible with w32time in a Windows domain we have to rely on what MS has
decided to use.

> You can, with
> some work, use a non-local DNS but that's probably as far as it goes.
> NTP information would not go into DNS, though, and that's as close as
> this subject will ever come to saying anything NTP-related.

Do you think the way (S)NTP clints detect their servers is not related to
NTP?

> Groetjes,
> Maarten Wiltink

Regards,