[ntp:questions] Q: Disabling "11 minute mode"

Thu Feb 28 09:40:27 UTC 2008

deanm at sharplabs.com (Dean S. Messing) writes:

> Serge Bets wrote:
>>  On Tuesday, January 22, 2008 at 19:02:23 +0000, Dean S. Messing wrote:
>>
>> > Is it possible to disable "11 minute mode" from "ntp.conf"?
>>
>> No. You have to tweak the kernel. If you have the PPSkit:
>>
>> | $ echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/time/rtc_update

[...]
> Thanks Serge.  I looked up PPSkit.  Looks good, but I'm going to have
> to learn how to patch the Fedora kernel to install PPSkit.

PPSkit is based on kernel 2.4. Recent changes in kernel 2.6 were dramatic
regarding the time code. I'm unsure if an equivalent mechanism exists in 2.6,
but it would be nice if someone would port "the pearls" to kernel 2.6.

[...]

Ulrich