[ntp:questions] Authentication problem

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Thu Feb 28 18:07:00 UTC 2008

Dennis,

The ntpq remote configuration is a work in progress. The original author
got pulled off on another project before the documentation was complete.
However, a little poking reveals that a ntpq command beginning with
":config" sends the rest of the line to the server, which interpets it
as a vanilla configuration file command. This of course requires
authentication as in ntpdc.

As I said, the implementation is incomplete and very likely additional
commands will be useful in future. Your comments are invited.

Dave