[ntp:questions] bc635pci

Greg Dowd GDowd at symmetricom.com
Wed Jan 2 16:59:06 UTC 2008

Hi Brian,
    Sorry I missed that last email.  It was hectic towards the end of
the year. We use plenty of 2.6 linux with the board.  If you know how to
write linux kernel drivers, it's a slam dunk.  If you don't, it's still
pretty straightforward.  First and foremost, read online or buy the
Linux Device Driver Book from O'Reilly.  Awesome stuff.  Really covers
the ground for most issues.  Later editions (3rd?) cover the 2.6 kernel,
even how to update a 2.4 to a 2.6 version.

    Next, I'd say you have two choices.  Either you can start with the
book in one hand and the manual in the other or you can start from
existing code.  Depends on how much you want to learn.  If you want some
code, I know for sure that I can offer you some code I wrote a few years
back which I called a linux programming kit.  It's officially
unsupported (I don't work for the division who makes that board anymore)
but as I remember it has a 2.4 driver and a bunch of library code.

    It makes a great timestamp generator for applications or profiling.
Good luck and let me know if you want that kit.  I'll have to dig it up
when I get back into the office next week.  Happy holidays.

Greg Dowd
gdowd at symmetricom dot com (antispam format)
Symmetricom, Inc.
www.symmetricom.com <http://www.symmetricom.com/>
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert
Einstein

Message: 6