[ntp:questions] Lep seconds

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Thu Jan 3 06:04:57 UTC 2008

marknmbox-88 at yahoo.com writes:

>I don't want to step on anyones toes but I am getting
>a lot of heat over using a POSIX compliant ntp re leap
>seconds.  The 1 second error inserted can cause a lot
>of trouble.

Exactly what heat are you getting and what trouble is it causing you?
Perhaps if you tell us the problem rather than your solution, we could come
up with a solution.

>I now that the Olsen mod changes most Unix/Linux time
>processing to handle the leap second in a
>theoretically correct manner rather than being POSIX

I have no idea what "a theoretically correct manner " is. The Posix IS a
theoretically correct manner.

>compliant.  Is there a similar mod for NTP.  I am
>hoping that there is a mod that will cause NTP to
>supply theoretical UTC (even if it is not ascci).

NTP DOES supply both theoretical and practical UTC.

I think what you are worried about is that you want your system to provide
something like TIA-- Atomic time-- which has no leap seconds. I believe the
Olsen mods have your system clock run on atomic time and then use the
leapsecond file and the zoneinfo file for your region to translate that to
your local time.

You could just set up ntp to add 33 sec to its time, and you would have
atomic time.