[ntp:questions] Seeking "net time" Response without Active Directory

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Jan 3 13:34:16 UTC 2008

Danny,

Danny Mayer wrote:
> Martin Burnicki wrote:
>> Glenn,
>>
>> gcatlin at ix.netcom.com wrote:
>>> We use a pc punchclock that relies on the "net time" command.  We are
>>> a netware/linux shop and use an ntp time source, however, we do not
>>> use Active Directory.  So far have been unable to make the punchclock
>>> work.  Is there any way we can respond with the time when the
>>> punchclock requests "net time?"  Any assistance would be appreciated.
>>
>> "net time" uses a NETBIOS call to query the time from another machine. If
>> you are running a Linux machine then you can enable samba to reply to
>> those requests.
>>
>> Martin
>
> I cannot understand why anyone would want to use a NETBIOS call on Linux
> to get time from another machine when it would be far easier and more
> supportable to just install NTP and create a configuration file to point
> to a number of NTP servers.

If I've understood the OP correctly then he wants to synchronize some
exiting devices which only support "net time" to _get_ the time.

So he needs another device which can reply to those "net time" queries, and
this could be a *ix machine running samba.

Of course NTP would be preferable if it could be run on those clients, and
of course NTP should be used to synchronize the *ix machine.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren