[ntp:questions] Seeking "net time" Response without Active Directory

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 14:20:22 UTC 2008

On Jan 2, 10:02 pm, gcat... at ix.netcom.com wrote:
> We use a pc punchclock that relies on the "net time" command.  We are
> a netware/linux shop and use an ntp time source, however, we do not
> use Active Directory.  So far have been unable to make the punchclock
> work.  Is there any way we can respond with the time when the
> punchclock requests "net time?"  Any assistance would be appreciated.
> Glenn in NJ

Actually, any Windows NT4, 200, XP, or 2003 machine, should respond to
a NET TIME query by default. Provided, of course, that NETBIOS is open
on that machine's firewall, which it will be if there are shared
folders or printers. There is no requirement for Active Directory; in
fact, Active Directory domains use the NTP protocol to synchronize
time, not NET TIME.

So, if you have a windows file server, use that. Or pick a workstation
if you don't have a Windows Seerver, and choose that as the NET TIME
query destination. You can use the built in WIndows Time Service on
Windows 2000 or later, or use the full ntpd for Windows to keep the
machine's clock correct.